Thursday, August 19, 2010

What Ke$ha is Truly Saying


I had much fun analyzing Lady Gaga's lyrics last week, so I figured I'd try it again with another favorite among young people, Kesha (also spelled Ke$ha). Is it possible that she too is artistically addressing humanity's deepest conflicts?!? Or, is she just a no talent floozy?

Watch the video. Note the 80's theme throughout with the clothing, hair, and large stereo. Also note that she begins and ends in a bathtub, and it is likely that neither are located in her own home.



Tik Tok
(This is the sound a clock makes. This song will deal with the passage of time. "Tik" is slang for Crystal Meth. When I looked for a meaning for Tok, I found Theory of Knowledge, which is basically the study of how we know things. I'm not going to give Ke$ha that much credit. Let's stick with the drugs. Meth makes you feel energetic and alert. It can also increase libido and induce euphoria, which is a sense of well-being. It's also extremely addictive, but I won't get into the evils of drugs right now. Crystal Meth seems like a good choice for someone like Ke$ha who lives and dies by the club scene. So I suppose the title is sort of clever. Sort of.)

Ke$ha
(Her full name is Kesha Rose Sebert and she is twenty-three. Now, the dollar sign. It could have to do with her name sounding like the word "cash". Actually, it probably has a lot to do with that. Beyond that, perhaps she is knowingly, or unknowingly, addressing the fact that she has become a hot commodity. She is a money making object.)



Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy (Hey, what up girl?) Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city (Lets go) Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack 'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

(She wakes up feeling like someone else. P Diddy is a popular artist, and someone she would have heard in the club the night before. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an excuse to have P Diddy say a few lines at the beginning of the song. What the hell does P Diddy feel like? Is this common knowledge? Does P Diddy feel like a trashed woman waking up in a strange bath tub?
Anyway, I think it's odd that she says she's "out the door" and then two lines later says "before I leave". Maybe "out the door" is more about her intention to leave. Either way, it's confusing. Then she brushes her teeth with Jack Daniels, which means she takes a swig. She does this because she isn't coming back to the house she woke up in. This could either mean that she woke up in a strange house after sleeping with a strange man, or it could mean that she doesn't intend to return to her home. Whatever the case, she takes a drink to drown her negative feelings.)


I'm talking pedicure on our toes, toes Trying on all our clothes, clothes Boys blowing up our phones, phones Drop-topping, playing our favorite CDs Pulling up to the parties Trying to get a little bit tipsy

(This is all about appearances. She is trying to look good for the boys because it feels good for boys to want her. Drop topping is about blasting music in a convertible. She's all about herself and people paying attention to her. Then she says, "trying to get a little bit tipsy". Is this a buzz designed to loosen her up? Probably.)

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock on the clock But the party don't stop, no Don't stop, make it pop DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock, on the clock But the party don't stop, no

(The refrain is repeated. "Don't stop" refers to the partying. Since the music video has her waking up in a tub, preparing for the club, going to the club, and waking up in a tub all over again, we can assume that she is in a never ending cycle of partying. The party don't stop. Just as the hands of a clock go around and around and around, she keeps doing the same cycle. I'm not sure about her fighting until she sees the sunlight. What is she fighting? I think she just needed to rhyme a few words.)

Ain't got a care in world, but got plenty of beer Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here And now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger

(This part upsets me. She doesn't have any cares, but she has plenty of beer. I suppose she's contrasting quantities. No Cares/ Yes Beer. What's the connection? The next line is even worse. No money, but she's already here. Where is she? Is she in a state of intoxication already so she doesn't need to buy any more booze or drugs? Then we have the last line about dudes looking like Mick Jagger. Mick Jagger is an ugly dude. He's popular despite his appearance. His physical appearance is not an asset in his portfolio. Is Ke$ha showing us how messed up she is by making such a poor choice of judgment?)

I'm talking about everybody getting crunk, crunk Boys tryin' to touch my junk, junk Gonna smack him if he getting too drunk, drunk

(Holy smokes! Lady Gaga is looking like Leonardo Da Vinci in comparison to this garbage. Everyone is getting drunk and guys are feeling her up. Don't worry though, cause she is going to smack them if they get out of hand. Nice. )

Now, now, we go until they kick us out, out Or the police shut us down, down Police shut us down, down Po-po shut us

(Fight the power! Not for any just cause, but for purely selfish and destructive reasons. )

Don't stop, make it pop DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock on the clock But the party don't stop, no Don't stop, make it pop DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock on the clock But the party don't stop, no

(Make it pop. Do I need to elaborate? And throw in a few more meaningless rhymes while you're at it.)

DJ, you build me up You break me down My heart, it pounds Yeah, you got me With my hands up You got me now You got that sound Yeah, you got me DJ, you build me up You break me down My heart, it pounds Yeah, you got me With my hands up Put your hands up Put your hands up

(Very good Ke$ha! You used that image of getting arrested with your hands up to show a different kind of surrender. A willing surrender to the power of the music. Did you do this all by yourself?)

Now, the party don't start 'til I walk in


(If a tree falls, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If a party starts, and Ke$ha isn't around to party, does it really start?)

Don't stop, make it pop DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock on the clock But the party don't stop, no Don't stop, make it pop DJ, blow my speakers up Tonight, I'mma fight 'Til we see the sunlight Tick tock on the clock But the party don't stop, no

Ke$ha is a moron. This song has no benefit for our culture. Catchy beat though.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Kesha is not very good lyrically. I don't like how her fun, non-explicit are attracting probably thousands of teens. boo. It's like she's saying you have to set a boundary, but before that you can go crazy. Don't like the message... basically moral relativism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha "a no talent floozy." So good Dave.

    I think my favorite line is "(Holy smokes! Lady Gaga is looking like Leonardo Da Vinci in comparison to this garbage. Everyone is getting drunk and guys are feeling her up. Don't worry though, cause she is going to smack them if they get out of hand. Nice.)"

    Also, did you look into Ke$ha's actual life? It's just as out of control as her music. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha.....i knew you would find great fodder in this piece of crap.

    ReplyDelete