Monday, April 26, 2010

On the Christian Faith: What is the Gospel?

Nothing matters to me more than my relationship with God through Jesus Christ, so it would be rather questionable if I didn't write on this. The following is my attempt to describe the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Gospel means "good news". Merriam Webster online defines it as " the message concerning Christ, the kingdom of God, and salvation" and also " something accepted or promoted as infallible truth or as a guiding principle or doctrine".
So what is the good news? In a Word, Christ. There is no good news without Christ because he is the good news.

"Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28)

" They said to his disciples, 'Why is [Jesus] eating with the tax collectors and sinners?' But when Jesus heard this, he said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick...for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners" (Matthew 9: 11-13).

"If you lend to those from whom you expect to recieve, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to recieve back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men." (Luke 6: 34-35).

"O righteous Father, although the world has not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that you sent me; and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved me may be in them, and I in them." (John 17:25-26).

The good news is that God loves us. He loves us to the point of ultimate sacrifice. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13).

The good news is that those who need a savior have one. Those who need help have help. Those who desire God will find God. Those who are sick in every way will find healing.

The good news is that the Almighty God humbled himself and became human for the sake of us.

The good news is that if you are asking, you will be answered.
If you are seeking, you will find.
And if you knock on the door, it will be opened.

The gospel is an open invitation to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment