Saturday, June 19, 2010

Twenty-Three

Twenty-three is an interesting age.
Some people your age are getting married.
Some people have never been in a relationship.

Some people are pregnant and raising children.
Some people still party all of the time.

Some people are living at home.
Some people are living together.

Some people are embarking on their careers.
Some people are still working at their old summer job.

Some people are still in school.
Some people are teaching in a school.

Some people travel the world.
Some people remain in their hometown.


Where am I in this?
I'm George Bailey sitting at the dinner table with his father.
Start watching at 8 minutes.


Pa Bailey: I know it's soon to talk about it.
George Bailey: Oh, now Pop, I couldn't. I couldn't face being cooped up for the rest of my life in a shabby little office... Oh, I'm sorry Pop, I didn't mean that, but this business of nickels and dimes and spending all your life trying to figure out how to save three cents on a length of pipe... I'd go crazy. I want to do something big and something important.
Pa Bailey: You know, George, I feel that in a small way we are doing something important. Satisfying a fundamental urge. It's deep in the race for a man to want his own roof and walls and fireplace, and we're helping him get those things in our shabby little office.
George Bailey: I know, Dad. I wish I felt... But I've been hoarding pennies like a miser in order to... Most of my friends have already finished college. I just feel like if I don't get away, I'd bust.
Pa Bailey: Yes... yes... You're right son.
George Bailey: You see what I mean, don't you, Pop?
Pa Bailey: This town is no place for any man unless he's willing to crawl to Potter. You've got talent, son. I've seen it. You get yourself an education. Then get out of here.


I'm Luke Skywalker gazing at the sunset.



But I'm also Richard Gere in An Officer and a Gentleman.




At least I'm not pregnant. I'm just not ready for that.

2 comments:

  1. I feel you. I want so much but I'm also so lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You can do all these amazing things and sometimes you feel like you will just got bust unless you can tell people about them. ... You are here for a reason, I don't know who's reason or what that reason is, maybe it's t- ... ah I don't know. But I do know one thing. It's *not* to score touchdowns."

    ReplyDelete